The FVC is looking for two curious, hard-working and keen Student Conservation Stewards to join our team for the summer of 2015!
The summer students will work as part of a crew, under the supervision of Fraser Valley Conservancy (FVC) biologists and alongside community volunteers. They will be assisting with:
- managing FVC conservation properties including invasive species control, restoration work as well as baseline surveys (photo-point monitoring, vegetation, gastropod, and mammal surveys);
- monitoring juvenile Western Toad migration and participating in the installation of an amphibian crossing structure;
- working with partner organizations assisting with fish salvage and stream restoration (including bio-engineering); and,
- organizing and hosting outreach events, engaging youth volunteers, and promoting conservation values to the community.
These positions are a great opportunity to gain experience in conservation field. While we do not require extensive previous work experience, we will be seeking candidates that have some experience (work, volunteer or academic) in the follow areas:
- Physically fit and comfortable working outside in all weather conditions
- Keen interest in local conservation issues
- Native flora and fauna identification knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Must have access to a reliable personal vehicle as the work will take place around the Fraser Valley (Chilliwack, Abbotsford and Mission). The students will be responsible for their own transportation to and from the daily meeting locations in each community
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule (which can include evenings and weekends) to coincide with toad migrations and public events
Additional qualifications that will be considered an asset:
- Knowledge of amphibian biology, wetland ecology and species at risk issues (especially local species and ecosystems)
- Field work experience; including monitoring methods, data collection, data analysis and technical reporting
- Streamkeeper or other related volunteer experience
- GPS knowledge and basic mapping skills
- Experience coordinating volunteers and hosting events
- Experience with construction projects (such as temporary fence building)
These positions are funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program; therefore candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in post-secondary education (must have been registered full-time in the previous academic year and returning to full time studies in September 2015)
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age (as of May 25th, 2015)
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred and be legally entitled to work in Canada
Two student stewards will be hired (funding dependent) as term employees from May 25th 2015 to August 22, 2015. The rate of pay will be $13.50 per hour, 32 hours per week.
To apply please email a cover letter and resume clearly outlining how you meet the above requirements and resume to email@example.com.
Resumes will be accepted until 8:00 am Monday April 20th, 2015. Applicants who meet the criteria for an interview will be contacted by April 24th and interviews will take place the week of April 27th.