** This event is for Ryder Lake residents only**
Do you live in Ryder Lake? Are you interested in helping nature and wildlife in your neighbourhood? We have an event coming up that might interest you!
From 11:00 AM to 11:15 AM this event will be a Ryder Lake Nature Team meeting. After the meeting, we will be building a temporary fence along Elk View Road to help amphibians travel back to the wetlands.
Come join us for the meeting at 11:00 AM to learn more about this nature-based group in Ryder Lake, or join us at 11:15 AM to help with our outdoor event.
Wildlife Protection Event – Temporary Fencing Installation
- We’re looking for energetic volunteers to help us install 150m of silt fencing to direct amphibians traveling back to the wetlands!
- This will involve installing fencing along the ditch on Elk View Road.
Why It’s Helpful
- In late February/early March the amphibians are traveling back to their important breeding wetland in Ryder Lake. There is a crossing structure called the “Toad Tunnel”, that runs under Elk View Road.
- The fencing you will install helps guide these amphibians to the crossing structure so they can safely pass under the road.
- Help install the silt fencing.
- Use tools to dig trenches, hammer in wooden stakes, and attach fencing material to the wooden stakes
- Be prepared to spend a few hours outdoors alongside a road.
- Can use tools such as shovels to dig into the wet ground.
- Hammering wooden stakes into the ground, and using a staple gun to secure the fence.
- Wear weather-appropriate clothing and sturdy footwear (Rubber boots or hiking boots that can get a little muddy) and work gloves.
- Access to a vehicle to travel within the Ryder Lake area.
- All training required will be provided on the day of.
- All tools will be provided including shovels, pickaxes, sledgehammers, staple guns, and staples.
- If you’re able to, bring your own gloves (we will provide gloves if you don’t have your own)
- Dress appropriately for wet, cold, weather.
- Safety vests will be provided (let us know if you want to bring your own!).
- Outdoors in the right-of-way adjacent to Elk View Road.
- There is no shelter or bathroom facilities on site.
- Ryder Lake Neighbourhood
- Parking: The mailboxes on Elk View Road.
- Saturday, February 11th, 2023
- 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM (Nature Team meeting from 11:00 AM to 11:15 AM; Fencing event from 11:15 AM to 2:00 PM)
- RAIN OR SHINE
- This event may be rescheduled if the ground is too hard to dig a trench. The Program Coordinator will update everyone about schedule changes asap.
Click the “Register Here” link below to sign-up for the event!
Do you live outside of Ryder Lake but are interested in events like this? Click here to sign up for our volunteer program!