** This event is for Ryder Lake residents only**
Do you live in Ryder Lake? Are you interested in helping nature and wildlife in your neighbourhood? We have an event coming up that might interest you!
Join us as we explore a wetland in Ryder Lake, looking for amphibians and their egg masses. Learn ID skills and take this knowledge back to your own backyards!
Wildlife Monitoring Event – Pond Checks
- Help us monitor amphibian breeding by joining FVC staff at a wetland in Ryder Lake.
- You will be looking for frogs, toads, salamanders, and their egg masses!
Why it’s Helpful
- As soon as the weather warms up, many of our frogs, toads, and salamanders will emerge from their winter brumination (the amphibian version of ‘hibernation’) and start their trek to their breeding pond.
- You can help FVC observe these critters by joining us at a wetland to learn about amphibian breeding.
- Take what you learn into your own backyards! Share your observations with us!
- Your help in these surveys and collecting data will contribute to an ongoing amphibian monitoring dataset that will show us hotspots of amphibian activity. These surveys give us an opportunity to continue learning about the amphibian populations in the Ryder Lake area as well.
- Learn about egg masses, where to find them and how to identify them.
- Helping the project coordinator with observational data collection.
- Be prepared to spend a few hours outdoors near a wetland/pond.
- Requires access to a vehicle to travel to the meeting point in the Ryder Lake area.
- Bring your own water or snacks.
- All training required will be provided on the survey day.
- Dress appropriately for wet, cold, weather. Wear sturdy footwear (Rubber boots or hiking boots that can get a little muddy).
- Safety vests will be provided (let us know if you want to bring your own!).
- Ryder Lake Neighbourhood in Chilliwack, BC.
- The exact meeting location will be provided once registered.
- Wetland on private property.
- There is no shelter, nor bathroom facilities on site.
- 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM (This event could go a little longer, maybe closer to 5:00 PM)
- RAIN OR SHINE
- This event may be rescheduled if the weather is particularily uncoorperative. The Program Coordinator will update everyone about schedule changes asap.
Click the “Register Here” link below to sign-up for the event!
Do you live outside of Ryder Lake but are interested in events like this? Click here to sign up for our volunteer program!