It looks like it is going to be sunny and we’re still looking for more helpers for the restoration work in Windebank Creek this weekend. Come help us out!
Here are the details…
The plan – 3 Shifts (volunteers can participate in as many shifts as they are comfortable with):
- Saturday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (lunch will be served for all participants between 12 and 12:30)
- Saturday 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm
- Sunday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (hopefully we will be done at this time otherwise we will be working later this day as well)
- we will be moving gravel, rocks and wood by hand, buckets and wheelbarrows to predetermined sites along the creek
- our DFO project partner (Al Jonsson) will provide instruction on how to build each rock weir and wood complexes
- volunteers will work in groups of 2 or 3 to build the structures (with help as required) – it is our goal to build at least 10 of these structures
- for volunteers who are not comfortable lifting heavy objects or working in the stream we have lots of other tasks you can help us with such as much needed help with our ongoing battle to control the invasive plants on the property and general property maintenance tasks
What to bring:
- Gumboots if you want to work in the stream, hiking or good shoes if you are going to stay out of the stream – NO OPEN TOED SHOES ALLOWED ON THIS PROPERTY for your safety reasons!
- Dress for the weather, it looks like this lovely sunny stretch will continue through the weekend, so don’t forget sun protection and a water bottle (we will have a water jug on site for refills)
- If you have gloves and pruners please bring them too – we have a few for people to borrow as well
Where to meet:
The dead end at the west end of Logan Street in Mission (you will see the gate to our property which lies below the mall that is on the Northeast corner of Lougheed and Cedar Connector.