** This event is for Ryder Lake residents only**
Do you live in Ryder Lake? Are you interested in helping nature and wildlife in your neighbourhood? We have an event coming up that might interest you! Join us and help the Fraser Valley Conservancy remove the temporary fencing installed on Elk View Road.
In late February/early March, the amphibians return to their important breeding wetland in Ryder Lake. There is a crossing structure called the “Toad Tunnel” that runs under Elk View Road. The installed fencing helped guide amphibians to the crossing structure in March and April. Now the fencing is ready to be removed until it is needed again in June/July for the migration of baby toads back to the forest.
Wildlife Protection Event – Temporary Fencing REMOVAL
We need your help to remove the 150 meters of silt fencing along Elk View Road!
Why It’s Helpful
- In late February/early March, the amphibians are travelling to their important breeding wetland. There is a crossing structure called the Toad Tunnel that runs under Elk View Road.
- The fencing helps guide amphibians to the Toad Tunnel so they can safely pass under the road.
- In May, we need to remove this previously installed temporary fence!
- Be prepared to spend a few hours outdoors alongside a road.
- Help remove the fence using tools like shovels and staple removers.
- All training and gear required will be provided on the day of the event
- Dress appropriately for warm or wet weather (check the forecast ahead of time!)
- Wear sturdy footwear and bring your work gloves. We will have some available if you need them.
- Safety vests will be provided (let us know if you want to bring your own!).
Setting and Location
- Outdoors in the right-of-way adjacent to Elk View Road.
- Ryder Lake Neighbourhood.
- Parking: The mailboxes on Elk View Road.
- There are no shelter or bathroom facilities on site.
- Thursday, May 18th, 2023
- 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM.
- RAIN OR SHINE
- This event may be rescheduled if there is too much rain. Jenn, the Project Coordinator, will update everyone about schedule changes ASAP.
Click the “Register Here” link below to sign-up for the event!
Do you live outside of Ryder Lake but are interested in events like this? Click here to sign up for our volunteer program!